Student SaskMoneyMinute is an engaging project for secondary students, presented by Affinity Credit Union. This project is a fun way for students to meet curricular outcomes and share their learning with an audience beyond the classroom.
Teachers! Access project resources at the bottom of this page.
Student SaskMoneyMinute challenges grade 10-12 students across Saskatchewan to create a one-minute video that teaches their peers about a healthy financial habit relevant to their age group. The topic choice must be connected directly to a module in the Saskatchewan Financial Literacy curriculum. Students are encouraged to be creative with their project, and they should consider how this video will engage and inform their peers when shared via social media.
This contest is open to students who are currently registered in Grade 10, 11, or 12 in a Saskatchewan-based high school.
Students must also meet one of the following criteria:
- Students who are currently enrolled in a Financial Literacy 20/30 course.
- Students studying Financial Literacy outcomes as part of a Practical and Applied Arts course or survey (i.e. Life Transitions, Accounting, Entrepreneurship, etc.)
- In Semester 1, students who successfully completed a Financial Literacy course prior to the 2023-2024 school year may enter the contest via their past Financial Literacy teacher. These students must still be enrolled in a Saskatchewan high school.
Students in a class that is not participating in this project may enter individually with help from their teacher.
This project has two submission deadlines in 2024:
- January 26 (Semester 1 and past Financial Literacy students)
- June 21 (Semester 2 Financial Literacy students)
*A student may only enter one video per school year.
Submission Guidelines and Process
- More than one class per school may enter.
- Teachers who have students completing this project in a class will be asked to narrow down project submissions to the top 1-3 projects per class.
- Teachers will fill out a Google Form to inform SaskMoney of the 1-3 student projects that will represent their class.
- Teachers who have individual students entering but are not completing this project in class are also asked to fill out the Google Form.
- You will need the student(s) email address(es) to complete the form.
- Students are responsible for project submission:
- Ensure teacher has completed a Google Form.
- Students will complete a separate Google Form including a list of sources of borrowed information.
- Once online forms have been received, students will receive a Dropbox link to upload their content (video file and media release form).
- Videos must be no longer than 60 seconds.
- Music should not be used in the video, and visual content should be original. This will help:
- avoid copyright conflicts.
- the team at Studio D brand each winner’s video with contest and sponsor graphics.
- Projects for Semester 1 deadline can be submitted between January 8-26, 2024.
Prizes and Judging
At each deadline, a group of volunteer judges will choose a first, second, and third place winner. Prizes include:
- 1st place = $500. 2nd place = $250. 3rd place = $100.
- See the Judges’ Rubric below.
- Note: If students enter as a group, one prize will be awarded for the group to share.
During the following semester, each winner’s video will be branded and shared on SaskMoney.ca and on social media.
Classes and individual students who are not chosen in the top 3 will be entered into a draw for a gift card.
SaskMoneyMinute is a project created by the Saskatoon Industry Education Council’s SaskMoney program. In the past, local financial professionals shared a brief piece of financial advice for students. Past recordings can be found on the Videos page.
Click below to access resources that may be helpful for classroom instruction. If Word Doc versions would be helpful, please email [email protected].