What is a Money Fair?
Scroll below for instructional resources!
A Money Fair is a fun, inquiry-based project where students engage in financial literacy topics relevant to their age. Like a traditional science fair, middle years students choose a topic of interest, conduct guided research, and show off their learning when they are complete.
In 2021/2022, classes and individual students (ages 8-14) can participate in the Talk With Our Kids About Money (TWOKAM) second annual Virtual Money Fair contest. Entrants into this national contest are eligible to win up to $2000! Please visit the TWOKAM site to see examples from last year’s national finalists including a project from a student in Regina! Rashid’s project was chosen as Saskatchewan’s representative by a panel of regional judges, and he received an honourable mention during the national online event!
There are many possibilities of how this program can be adapted to meet the unique needs of a class. When using the Saskatchewan Financial Literacy curriculum, teachers may consider how a Money Fair can fit into their instruction as a potential summative project. Connection to PAA Financial Literacy modules are clear, and cross curricular connections are possible too (see document below).
If you would like to implement a Money Fair with your middle years class, please fill out a contact form at the bottom of the page, and someone from the SIEC will be happy to help. Our team can assist with everything from:
- initial planning
- meeting with classes to get the project started (virutal or in person)
- entering projects in the national Virtual Money Fair competition
- arranging community judges (if doing an in-person Money Fair)
- and organizing prizes for your event.
Scroll below for instructional resources, and please check out the Canadian Foundation for Economic Education (CFEE) for more financial literacy programs.
These are the resources for this module
- Money Fair Checklist Sheet (78 KB)
- Money Fair Inquiry Project Organizer (97 KB)
- Money Fair Inquiry Question Bubble Form (56 KB)
- Money Fair Presentation (Peer Feedback) (23 KB)
- Money Fair Project Examples
- Money Fair Rubric (Teacher) (84 KB)
- Money Fair Wonder Questions (86 KB)
- TWOKAM Cross-Curricular Connections (207 KB)
- TWOKAM Money Fair Planning Guide 2019 with Judges Notes Chart (2 MB)
- TWOKAM Teacher guide ENGLISH short Nov 2018 (359 KB)
- Virtual Money Fair Guides